Israel-based UBQ Materials has announced a major expansion of its portfolio. What started out as its standard material replacement known as UBQ has now proliferated to three bio-based material replacements and two additives.
UBQ manufactures its products through a patented closed-loop process, which converts garbage waste - including food waste, mixed plastics, cardboard, paper, and dirty diapers - into a sustainable raw material for the manufacturing of everyday goods across a multitude of industries. The process works by breaking down the heterogeneous waste streams into their basic, natural components before reconstituting them to create a brand-new material. Around 70% to 80% of UBQ’s feedstock is broken down to its particulate constructs—lignin, cellulose, fibres, and sugars—and then reassembled and bound together into a matrix. The remaining 20% to 30% are mixed plastics that melt and bond into the matrix, creating a highly recyclable thermoplastic material.