Technology company Dell has announced what it describes as the “technology industry's first shipment of ocean plastics packaging,” which contains 25% plastics recycled from waterways.
The packaging, said Dell on 22 February, was the result of “innovative, commercial-scale pilot programme”, through which it recycled plastics collected from waterways and beaches for use in the new packaging tray for its Dell XPS 13 2-in-1.
The recycled packaging is part of Dell's broader sustainable supply chain strategy and the company expects the pilot programme would keep 16,000 pounds of plastic from entering the ocean in 2017.
In addition to the 25% ocean plastics, Dell said the remaining 75% of its packaging trays comprises of recycled HDPE plastics from sources like bottles and food storage containers.
Dell will transition its XPS 13 2-in-1 to ocean plastics packaging beginning 30 April.
Since 2008, Dell has included post-consumer recycled plastics in its desktops, and as of January 2017, reached its 2020 goal of using 50m pounds of recycled materials in its products.